Note: This original blog has been updated for clarity and new products here.
Michigan, along with Wisconsin, is one state that has very specific laws regarding civilian use of pepper spray. According to the State of Michigan website, carrying pepper spray is legal as long as it meets one of the following conditions:
- The entire pepper spray formula is less than 35 grams (approximately 1.2 ounces), including orthochlorobenzalmalononitrile (CS gas) and other inert ingredients.
- The pepper spray solution contains no more than 10% oleoresin capsicum (pepper spray) and is used only to protect yourself or your property in a situation that would justify using physical force.
Michigan imposes two other important restrictions:
- In Michigan, according the Attorney General, it is illegal for civilians to carry tear gas and mace (CN gas).
- Mixtures of CN and CS gases are illegal, but tear gasses that contain only CS gas are permitted.
- Although pepper spray can be purchased online, it is illegal to sell pepper spray to a minor.
If you live in Michigan, Safety Girl offers four great Mace Pepper Sprays. Although these pepper sprays are not as strong as some other pepper spray formulas, they are still effective when defending yourself against an attacker. The biggest difference between pepper spray users will notice is that the length of the pepper spray effects are shortened slightly.
The Mace Double-Action Personal Spray uses a formulation of tear (CS) gas to cause profuse tearing, burning sensation, and disorientation. The gas contains ultraviolet dye to invisibly mark an attacker. The Mace Double-Action Pocket Spray, is slightly smaller and will fit easily in a pocket or purse.
The Mace PepperGard Personal Spray contains an OC Pepper formula that is legal in Michigan. This spray also contains ultraviolet dye to invisibly mark an attacker. The Mace PepperGard Pocket Spray model is slightly smaller and may be a more convenient size for some users.
Safety Girl is the best place to shop online for Michigan Pepper sprays. With prices as low as $9.99 per container, these pepper sprays will keep you protected, save you money, and help you adhere to Michigan laws.